Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Nature's Treasures




We are heading in to some nice mild weather this week. I might even be able to get outside and do a little cleanup.  We still have a ton of leaves covering everything.  Believe it or not, there is an oak tree that is stubbornly hanging on to it's leaves. Goodness, it seems like all we do is blow leaves!  A short walk in the woods recently offered up some pretty fungus and mosses.  I like the underside of the fungus; I think it's so pretty!

 My Tea Olive is blooming. It smells heavenly! It's flowers are so tiny, but it's delicious scent alerts as soon as you walk outside. I've kept my shrub rather small, yet it generates enough scent to be able to smell it in the front yard. Wonderful shrub, thick glossy leaves and tiny fragrant flowers. A real winner. It will grow large if you like.

I don't think I'm very pleased with my moss heart.  Drats! I'm wondering if I should have used soil inside instead of the sphagnum moss. I really don't want to try to change it out though, my fingers were sooo sore after I made it back in November. I also was using some moss that I collected on an outing, which is very different from the moss I have in my yard. I like my moss better, it's greener.


I'm joining Mosaic Monday and Outdoor Wednesday this week. I hope we all have a great week. Thanks so much for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. I like the idea of a moss heart - and goodness knows we have enough moss around here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely greens Leslie -- unexpected this time of year. I hope the heart works eventually..a great idea (but it makes my fingers ache just to think of all the work.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shades of green and yes, I know about those stubborn trees that hold on to their leaves, sometimes until spring too;'( Happy week your way~

    ReplyDelete
  4. The moss heart is pretty, great idea. I love the check out the fungi on my walks. Lovely images, thanks for sharing. Have a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely textures and colours, Leslie. What a great idea to make a moss heart. Thank you for your comments on my blog. I think that we do have a lot in common. Your crazy quilt stitching is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful fungi and lichen - so easy to walk straight by them, but they are so beautiful close-up - lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fungus looks wonderful and fresh with lots of patterns in it. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  8. great pictures, I love to take pictures of fungi. Fascinating
    Janice

    ReplyDelete