Total Pageviews

Friday, January 13, 2012

MY NEW OBSESSION....



I have inherited the maintenance and care of this 75g saltwater aquarium at my elementary school.
  I LOVE IT! 

Unfortunately, I don't know much about it, but there's a lot of  information out there (I love the 
internet!). I am slowly (very slowly :)) learning the ins and outs, but I have a L-O-N-G way to go.  Lets see...I've caused a major outbreak of Cyano bacteria (got it cleared up, Yeah!), I threw away what I thought was the new fish who had it's head bitten off by a crab (or so I thought), only to have to quickly go and fish it out of the bathroom trash (y-u-c-k!), when I realized it was one of the Feather Dusters who had dropped it's feathers!, I have somehow adjusted the Protein Skimmer to the point that it's not skimming AT ALL.  This is probably the most dangerous of all my mistakes and I haven't gotten it fixed yet.  YIKES! I really wish I had the paperwork that came with the equipment because I don't know how to fix it. Oh yeah, we  have been adding saltwater when topping off instead of plain (RO/DI) water which made the salinity go off the chart - literally!  It will take several days to get it right Well, I'll get it all fixed somehow, I certainly won't give up and in the mean time I am having a blast doing water tests 
for amonia and nitrites and nitrates and water salinity. It really is fun!  Some day I'll be bringing you 
pictures of a beautiful tank and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment